- The Fantasy Six Pack Hour: 2017 Fantasy Baseball Second Base and Shortstop Preview
- 2017 Fantasy Baseball Third Base Busts: The Corners To Avoid
- 2017 Fantasy Baseball Third Base Sleepers: Hot Corner Edition
- 2017 Fantasy Baseball First Base Busts: Draft First Base Early
- 2017 Fantasy Baseball First Base Sleepers: Finally Getting Their Opportunity
2017 Fantasy Baseball Second Base Rankings: The Tiny Guy Shall Lead Them!
SCFE’s 2017 Fantasy Second Base Rankings has more power hitting middle infielders than we’ve really gotten used to in the past decade.
If we look back at FanGraphs’ 2016 End-of-Season Second Base Rankings last fall, we find just one $30-plus player (Jose Altuve) and five others worth $20 or more. But from a power perspective alone, we had over a dozen second basemen hit 20 or more home runs last year! Compare that to 2013, when there were just THREE second basemen to hit over 20 home runs, and you get an idea of just how impressive this feat was.
Even if we look back 15 years ago, to the 2002 season, when steroids and other performance enhancing drugs were being handed out like Tic-Tacs, there were just four second basemen with over 20 home runs!
So we have to adjust the way we thing about second basemen going forward, right?
Well, let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. In a recent experts draft I’m taking part in over at Fantasy411.MLB.com, Altuve is the only second basemen to get drafted in the first 35 picks!
But after that, Robinson Cano, Roughned Odor, Brian Dozier and Daniel Murphy went in the next 12 picks. After that, figure one or two second basemen will go in each round until about 100 players are off the board.
2017 Fantasy Second Base Rankings
Latest posts by David Gonos (see all)
- 2017 Fantasy Outfielder Rankings: Power, Speed, Average? Yes, Please! - February 20, 2017
- 2017 Fantasy Shortstops Rankings: No Shortage of Talent - February 16, 2017
- 2017 Fantasy Third Base Rankings: Hot Corner Commodities! - February 14, 2017