It’s Mock Draft time again! This time, members of the SCFE staff got together for a standard, non-PPR draft.
There are definitely some big differences between this kind of draft compared with our previous PPR version. Running backs were hot and heavy earlier, and certain tight ends got huge boosts as well.
As a disclaimer, this draft started on July 1. A LOT of news has happened in what is normally a quiet period until training camp. I would bet Ezekiel Elliott and D’Onta Foreman are just a few guys that might have had their value take a dip.
This mock draft was conducted with the standard lineup of 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex/1DST/1K.
SCFE Early Mock Draft: Standard Edition
Rounds 1 and 2
|1||1||1||Dennis Sosic||David Johnson||RB||Cardinals|
|1||2||2||Cody Kitch||Ezekiel Elliott||RB||Cowboys|
|1||3||3||Michael Tomlin||LeVeon Bell||RB||Steelers|
|1||4||4||Levi Serfoss||Melvin Gordon||RB||Chargers|
|1||5||5||Brian Piazzi||Antonio Brown||WR||Steelers|
|1||6||6||Mark Strausberg||LeSean McCoy||RB||Bills|
|1||7||7||Scott Guthrie||Julio Jones||WR||Falcons|
|1||8||8||Kyle Bombardier||Odell Beckham||WR||Giants|
|1||9||9||Jack Delaney||Devonta Freeman||RB||Falcons|
|1||10||10||Zach Rohde||Jordan Howard||RB||Bears|
|1||11||11||Joshua Morgan||Mike Evans||WR||Buccaneers|
|1||12||12||Sarah Lewis||Todd Gurley||RB||Rams|
|2||1||13||Sarah Lewis||A.J. Green||WR||Bengals|
|2||2||14||Joshua Morgan||Jay Ajayi||RB||Dolphins|
|2||3||15||Zach Rohde||Michael Thomas||WR||Saints|
|2||4||16||Jack Delaney||T.Y. Hilton||WR||Colts|
|2||5||17||Kyle Bombardier||Leonard Fournette||RB||Jaguars|
|2||6||18||Scott Guthrie||DeMarco Murray||RB||Titans|
|2||7||19||Mark Strausberg||Lamar Miller||RB||Texans|
|2||8||20||Brian Piazzi||Rob Gronkowski||TE||Patriots|
|2||9||21||Levi Serfoss||Dez Bryant||WR||Cowboys|
|2||10||22||Michael Tomlin||Jordy Nelson||WR||Packers|
|2||11||23||Cody Kitch||Amari Cooper||WR||Raiders|
|2||12||24||Dennis Sosic||DeAndre Hopkins||WR||Texans|
- The obvious starting point is the running back bump. The first four picks were all backs, while eight total went in Round 1 and 12 of the first 19 picks were running backs. In a standard league with no points per reception, your flex will more than likely be a back.
- The running back run would have been even more prominent if Scott had his way: “I was hoping McCoy would be there [for my pick].”
- Rob Gronkowski gets a bump in this scoring set-up as well. With no PPR, tight ends that score more are much more valuable. Gronk has one of the greatest touchdowns-per-game of any player ever, really. His injury risk is worth the reward.
- The recent Ezekiel Elliott happenings make his status as a top pick very murky. Cody’s exact words, “I regret [taking] Zeke already. [Pick] 3 is way too high if he gets suspended.”
- Only one person went without a back in the first two rounds, and Brian still took Gronk with one of his two picks from another premium standard position.
- Kyle did not love his Fournette pick-up but he does love his ceiling, “He has potential to be a true #1 back.”
- DeAndre Hopkins should bounce back and is good value at Pick 24.
Rounds 3 and 4
|3||1||25||Dennis Sosic||Doug Baldwin||WR||Seahawks|
|3||2||26||Cody Kitch||Christian McCaffrey||RB||Panthers|
|3||3||27||Michael Tomlin||Isaiah Crowell||RB||Browns|
|3||4||28||Levi Serfoss||Travis Kelce||TE||Chiefs|
|3||5||29||Brian Piazzi||Marshawn Lynch||RB||Raiders|
|3||6||30||Mark Strausberg||Carlos Hyde||RB||49ers|
|3||7||31||Scott Guthrie||Joe Mixon||RB||Bengals|
|3||8||32||Kyle Bombardier||Brandin Cooks||WR||Patriots|
|3||9||33||Jack Delaney||Demaryius Thomas||WR||Broncos|
|3||10||34||Zach Rohde||Davante Adams||WR||Packers|
|3||11||35||Joshua Morgan||Aaron Rodgers||QB||Packers|
|3||12||36||Sarah Lewis||Dalvin Cook||RB||Vikings|
|4||1||37||Sarah Lewis||Alshon Jeffery||WR||Eagles|
|4||2||38||Joshua Morgan||Keenan Allen||WR||Charters|
|4||3||39||Zach Rohde||Allen Robinson||WR||Jaguars|
|4||4||40||Jack Delaney||Ty Montgomery||RB||Packers|
|4||5||41||Kyle Bombardier||Jordan Reed||TE||Redskins|
|4||6||42||Scott Guthrie||Tom Brady||QB||Patriots|
|4||7||43||Mark Strausberg||Greg Olsen||TE||Panthers|
|4||8||44||Brian Piazzi||Tyreek Hill||WR||Chiefs|
|4||9||45||Levi Serfoss||Akeem Hunt||RB||Texans|
|4||10||46||Michael Tomlin||Jarvis Landry||WR||Dolphins|
|4||11||47||Cody Kitch||Derrick Henry||RB||Titans|
|4||12||48||Dennis Sosic||Sammy Watkins||WR||Bills|
- Christian McCaffrey at 26th overall is still high for my liking. In our previous, PPR mock draft he went at the 13th pick. He definitely gets bumped down in standard leagues, and I still see him more as a Round 4-5 type of guy.
- Isaiah Crowell is quietly a non-PPR stud. He was 14th among running backs in scoring with over 1,250 yards and almost five yards per carry. The Browns will have to run the ball and I expect Crowell to creep towards 300 touches.
- The next three elite tight ends all got a slight bump from their PPR average draft position. As I said, tight ends that score are a hot commodity in standard leagues.
- I love the value of Allen Robinson in the middle of the fourth round. I know last year was bad, but he put up 1,400 yards and 14 touchdowns the year before in the same offense with the same quarterback. There is still a super high ceiling with the Jaguar.
- You may notice the error made my Levi: he took Akeem Hunt instead of Kareem Hunt. I left it in there as a teaching point for drafts this year. Make sure you have the right player, because there are some very similar names.
- Scott was “not a fan” of his picking Joe Mixon. I am hesitant on the whole Bengals’ backfield at this point until their timeshare shakes out.
- Kyle loves Cooks with the Patriots’ offense, “he’s a perfect fit for [them].” Kyle also thinks Reed has a shot to be the top-scoring tight end and I happen to agree with him.
- Strausberg on the other hand, would rather have Olsen, saying he will “bet he makes it four years in a row with 1,000+ yards.”
Rounds 5 and 6
|5||1||49||Dennis Sosic||Mike Gillislee||RB||Patriots|
|5||2||50||Cody Kitch||Terrelle Pryor||WR||Redskins|
|5||3||51||Michael Tomlin||Tevin Coleman||RB||Falcons|
|5||4||52||Levi Serfoss||Michael Crabtree||WR||Raiders|
|5||5||53||Brian Piazzi||Spencer Ware||RB||Chiefs|
|5||6||54||Mark Strausberg||Doug Martin||RB||Buccaneers|
|5||7||55||Scott Guthrie||Martavis Bryant||WR||Steelers|
|5||8||56||Kyle Bombardier||Samaje Perine||RB||Redskins|
|5||9||57||Jack Delaney||Golden Tate||WR||Lions|
|5||10||58||Zach Rohde||Ameer Abdullah||RB||Lions|
|5||11||59||Joshua Morgan||Tyler Eifert||TE||Bengals|
|5||12||60||Sarah Lewis||Mark Ingram||RB||Saints|
|6||1||61||Sarah Lewis||Drew Brees||QB||Saints|
|6||2||62||Joshua Morgan||C.J. Anderson||RB||Broncos|
|6||3||63||Zach Rohde||Larry Fitzgerald||WR||Cardinals|
|6||4||64||Jack Delaney||Jimmy Graham||TE||Seahawks|
|6||5||65||Kyle Bombardier||Adrian Peterson||RB||Saints|
|6||6||66||Scott Guthrie||Willie Snead||WR||Saints|
|6||7||67||Mark Strausberg||Donte Moncrief||WR||Colts|
|6||8||68||Brian Piazzi||Kareem Hunt||RB||Chiefs|
|6||9||69||Levi Serfoss||Julian Edelman||WR||Patriots|
|6||10||70||Michael Tomlin||Jamison Crowder||WR||Redskins|
|6||11||71||Cody Kitch||Kelvin Benjamin||WR||Panthers|
|6||12||72||Dennis Sosic||Paul Perkins||RB||Giants|
- Mike Gillislee gets possibly the biggest bump of all running backs in standard leagues. He will get his fair share of first-down and goal-lines carries in New England.
- Fun fact: Tevin Coleman was the 17th highest non-PPR scoring back last year, 13th in points per game. He is seen as the pass-catching, PPR specialist in that offense but he is a legit RB2 no matter the format.
- There was an oddity of four Saints’ players going in a seven-pick span. The split between Mark Ingram and Adrian Peterson has to be one of the biggest mysteries going into this season.
- There are some other players seen as pass-catchers or PPR-only guys that went in these two rounds. Guys like Golden Tate, Julian Edelman and Jamison Crowder still do have value in standard leagues. You can usually get them pretty cheaply as people over-correct their draft boards and cheat sheets.
- Mark had a different kind of draft strategy: “Given I went Zero WR, Moncrief ain’t a bad WR1.”
Rounds 7 and 8
|7||1||73||Dennis Sosic||Bilal Powell||RB||Jets|
|7||2||74||Cody Kitch||Matt Ryan||QB||Falcons|
|7||3||75||Michael Tomlin||Stefon Diggs||WR||Vikings|
|7||4||76||Levi Serfoss||Brandon Marshall||WR||Giants|
|7||5||77||Brian Piazzi||Andrew Luck||QB||Colts|
|7||6||78||Mark Strausberg||Jeremy Maclin||WR||Ravens|
|7||7||79||Scott Guthrie||Devante Parker||WR||Dolphins|
|7||8||80||Kyle Bombardier||LeGarrette Blount||RB||Eagles|
|7||9||81||Jack Delaney||Pierre Garcon||WR||49ers|
|7||10||82||Zach Rohde||Corey Coleman||WR||Browns|
|7||11||83||Joshua Morgan||Emmanuel Sanders||WR||Broncos|
|7||12||84||Sarah Lewis||Randall Cobb||WR||Packers|
|8||1||85||Sarah Lewis||Hunter Henry||TE||Chargers|
|8||2||86||Joshua Morgan||Danny Woodhead||RB||Ravens|
|8||3||87||Zach Rohde||Eddie Lacy||RB||Seahawks|
|8||4||88||Jack Delaney||Frank Gore||RB||Colts|
|8||5||89||Kyle Bombardier||Broncos D/ST||D/ST||Broncos|
|8||6||90||Scott Guthrie||Corey Davis||WR||Titans|
|8||7||91||Mark Strausberg||Cameron Meredith||WR||Bears|
|8||8||92||Brian Piazzi||Derek Carr||QB||Raiders|
|8||9||93||Levi Serfoss||DeSean Jackson||WR||Buccaneers|
|8||10||94||Michael Tomlin||Russell Wilson||QB||Seahawks|
|8||11||95||Cody Kitch||Kyle Rudolph||TE||Vikings|
|8||12||96||Dennis Sosic||Eric Decker||WR||Titans|
- Strausberg thinks he got really good value: “Something tells me as we get closer to the season Maclin isn’t going to last outside of the Top 75.”
- Scott thinks Corey Davis is being overlooked: “[He’s] the #2 option at worst. If/when Decker goes down, Davis will take off.”
- I was quite happy to get Russell Wilson after the first defense went off the board. Wilson carries an extremely high floor with his production because of his rushing numbers.
- Speaking of defenses, Kyle really shot for the fences with the Broncos’ defense here in Round 8. They are a dominant group, but I cannot cosign taking a defense this early, ever.
- Danny Woodhead probably takes the biggest hit from PPR to standard. I have seen him go at the beginning of the fourth round in PPR.
Rounds 9, 10, 11, and 12
|9||1||97||Dennis Sosic||Martellus Bennett||TE||Packers|
|9||2||98||Cody Kitch||Kenneth Dixon||RB||Ravens|
|9||3||99||Michael Tomlin||Delanie Walker||TE||Titans|
|9||4||100||Levi Serfoss||Jameis Winston||QB||Buccaneers|
|9||5||101||Brian Piazzi||John Brown||WR||Cardinals|
|9||6||102||Mark Strausberg||Jordan Matthews||WR||Eagles|
|9||7||103||Scott Guthrie||Kevin White||WR||Bears|
|9||8||104||Kyle Bombardier||Mike Williams||WR||Chargers|
|9||9||105||Jack Delaney||Thomas Rawls||RB||Seahawks|
|9||10||106||Zach Rohde||Marcus Mariota||QB||Titans|
|9||11||107||Joshua Morgan||Tyrell Williams||WR||Chargers|
|9||12||108||Sarah Lewis||Latavius Murray||RB||Vikings|
|10||1||109||Sarah Lewis||Zach Erta||TE||Eagles|
|10||2||110||Joshua Morgan||Justin Tucker||K||Ravens|
|10||3||111||Zach Rohde||Josh Doctson||WR||Redskins|
|10||4||112||Jack Delaney||Dak Prescott||QB||Cowboys|
|10||5||113||Kyle Bombardier||Jonathan Stewart||RB||Panthers|
|10||6||114||Scott Guthrie||Matt Forte||RB||Jets|
|10||7||115||Mark Strausberg||Adam Thielen||WR||Vikings|
|10||8||116||Brian Piazzi||C.J. Prosise||RB||Seahawks|
|10||9||117||Levi Serfoss||Duke Johnson||RB||Browns|
|10||10||118||Michael Tomlin||Quincy Enunwa||WR||Jets|
|10||11||119||Cody Kitch||Marvin Jones||WR||Lions|
|10||12||120||Dennis Sosic||Cam Newton||QB||Panthers|
|11||1||121||Dennis Sosic||Rob Kelley||RB||Redskins|
|11||2||122||Cody Kitch||Philip Rivers||QB||Chargers|
|11||3||123||Michael Tomlin||Joe Williams||RB||49ers|
|11||4||124||Levi Serfoss||Alvin Kamara||RB||Saints|
|11||5||125||Brian Piazzi||Theo Riddick||RB||Lions|
|11||6||126||Mark Strausberg||Matthew Stafford||QB||Lions|
|11||7||127||Scott Guthrie||James White||RB||Patriots|
|11||8||128||Kyle Bombardier||Josh Gordon||WR||Browns|
|11||9||129||Jack Delaney||Jamaal Charles||RB||Broncos|
|11||10||130||Zach Rohde||Mike Wallace||WR||Ravens|
|11||11||131||Joshua Morgan||Kirk Cousins||QB||Redskins|
|11||12||132||Sarah Lewis||Curtis Samuel||WR||Panthers|
|12||1||133||Sarah Lewis||Jeremy Hill||RB||Bengals|
|12||2||134||Joshua Morgan||Eric Ebron||TE||Lions|
|12||3||135||Zach Rohde||Jack Doyle||TE||Colts|
|12||4||136||Jack Delaney||Coby Fleener||TE||Saints|
|12||5||137||Kyle Bombardier||John Ross||WR||Bengals|
|12||6||138||Scott Guthrie||Texans D/ST||D/ST||Texans|
|12||7||139||Mark Strausberg||Marlon Mack||RB||Colts|
|12||8||140||Brian Piazzi||Jamaal Williams||RB||Packers|
|12||9||141||Levi Serfoss||Ben Roethlisberger||QB||Steelers|
|12||10||142||Michael Tomlin||D'Onta Foreman||RB||Texans|
|12||11||143||Cody Kitch||Sterling Shepard||WR||Giants|
|12||12||144||Dennis Sosic||Jacquizz Rodgers||RB||Buccaneers|
- Strausberg has high hopes for Jordan Matthews saying, “Great post hype candidate. Pederson is going to let Wentz throw this year and when (not if) Alshon gets injured, Matthews will be the man.”
- Mark was also hoping that Philip Rivers would slip back to him, but was happy to scoop up Stafford.
- Jacquizz Rodgers could be a strong pick later in drafts. Doug Martin is suspended the first four games with Rodgers slated to start. If he plays well I could see him taking the job over.
- I took D’Onta Foreman, but this happened before his own legal troubles. We will see if his status is in jeopardy to start the season.
- John Brown is a solid high-upside pick this late. I recently was able to snag him in the 14th round of the Scott Fish Bowl and was ecstatic.
- Kyle is taking a shot at Josh Gordon. Should he get re-instated, he could pay huge dividends.
- Quincy Enunwa is a draft-able player. I mean, who else in New York is going to catch passes? It’s not like they are going to be leading a lot and running the clock out.
Rounds 13, 14, 15 and 16
|13||1||145||Dennis Sosic||Kenny Britt||WR||Browns|
|13||2||146||Cody Kitch||Chiefs D/ST||D/ST||Chiefs|
|13||3||147||Michael Tomlin||Giovani Bernard||RB||Bengals|
|13||4||148||Levi Serfoss||Jonathan Williams||RB||Bills|
|13||5||149||Brian Piazzi||Seahawks D/ST||D/ST||Seahawks|
|13||6||150||Mark Strausberg||T.J. Yeldon||RB||Redskins|
|13||7||151||Scott Guthrie||J.J. Nelson||WR||Cardinals|
|13||8||152||Kyle Bombardier||Stephen Gostkowski||K||Patriots|
|13||9||153||Jack Delaney||Andy Dalton||QB||Bengals|
|13||10||154||Zach Rohde||Terrance West||RB||Ravens|
|13||11||155||Joshua Morgan||Cardinals D/ST||D/ST||Cardinals|
|13||12||156||Sarah Lewis||Zay Jones||WR||Bills|
|14||1||157||Sarah Lewis||Carson Wentz||QB||Eagles|
|14||2||158||Joshua Morgan||Dion Lewis||RB||Patriots|
|14||3||159||Zach Rohde||Ravens D/ST||D/ST||Ravens|
|14||4||160||Jack Delaney||Vikings D/ST||D/ST||Vikings|
|14||5||161||Kyle Bombardier||O.J. Howard||TE||Buccaneers|
|14||6||162||Scott Guthrie||Will Fuller||WR||Texans|
|14||7||163||Mark Strausberg||Robby Anderson||WR||Jets|
|14||8||164||Brian Piazzi||Tyler Lockett||WR||Seahawks|
|14||9||165||Levi Serfoss||Marqise Lee||WR||Jaguars|
|14||10||166||Michael Tomlin||Devontae Booker||RB||Broncos|
|14||11||167||Cody Kitch||Juju Smith-Schuster||WR||Steelers|
|14||12||168||Dennis Sosic||Austin Hooper||TE||Falcons|
|15||1||169||Dennis Sosic||Patriots D/ST||D/ST||Patriots|
|15||2||170||Cody Kitch||Matt Bryant||K||Falcons|
|15||3||171||Michael Tomlin||Panthers D/ST||D/ST||Panthers|
|15||4||172||Levi Serfoss||Jared Cook||TE||Raiders|
|15||5||173||Brian Piazzi||Taylor Gabriel||WR||Falcons|
|15||6||174||Mark Strausberg||Mason Crosby||K||Packers|
|15||7||175||Scott Guthrie||Rex Burkhead||RB||Patriots|
|15||8||176||Kyle Bombardier||Eli Manning||QB||Giants|
|15||9||177||Jack Delaney||Robert Woods||WR||Rams|
|15||10||178||Zach Rohde||Dan Bailey||K||Cowboys|
|15||11||179||Joshua Morgan||Cole Beasley||WR||Cowboys|
|15||12||180||Sarah Lewis||Eagles D/ST||D/ST||Eagles|
|16||1||181||Sarah Lewis||Cairo Santos||K||Chiefs|
|16||2||182||Joshua Morgan||Kenny Stills||WR||Dolphins|
|16||3||183||Zach Rohde||James Conner||RB||Steelers|
|16||4||184||Jack Delaney||Steven Hauschka||K||Bills|
|16||5||185||Kyle Bombardier||Blake Bortles||QB||Jaguars|
|16||6||186||Scott Guthrie||Adam Vinatieri||K||Colts|
|16||7||187||Mark Strausberg||Jaguars D/ST||D/ST||Jaguars|
|16||8||188||Brian Piazzi||Sebastian Janikowski||K||Raiders|
|16||9||189||Levi Serfoss||Falcons D/ST||D/ST||Falcons|
|16||10||190||Michael Tomlin||Wil Lutz||K||Saints|
|16||11||191||Cody Kitch||Ted Ginn Jr.||WR||Saints|
|16||12||192||Dennis Sosic||Dustin Hopkins||K||Redskins|
- Mark is holding on to his T.J. Yeldon stock, “The reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated and I still think he gets over 200 touches.”
- Similarly, Scott thinks that J.J. Nelson is “highly under-rated.”
- Not much to say in the land of kickers and defenses. Strausberg is putting his Pin in the Jaguars’ defense, “Jacksonville will be a Top Ten Defense this year, book it!”
- I was shocked Devontae Booker was still available. I genuinely thought he was drafted a few rounds prior. To me, it’s a three-way coin flip on who gets the bulk of the touches in Denver.
- Dennis talked about going against his normal strategy of only a single tight end: “Hooper… was a no-brainer. His upside is tremendous. While injuries hindered his development in the beginning of the season, he flashed his ability and promise in the playoffs/Super Bowl.”
Now that you are getting a grasp of certain players’ ADP, let’s take at look at which starters are the most consistent!
|2017 Fantasy Football Draft Kit|
|Positional Rankings | Sleepers | Busts | Player Analysis | Strategy | Preseason Analysis | Mock Drafts | Tools|
If you are looking for a place to conduct a mock draft or need assistance with drafting in general, check out the Fantasy Pros Draft Wizard. This is a terrific tool that will help you dominate your league, along with So-Called Fantasy Experts, of course.
Latest posts by Michael Tomlin (see all)
- Week 3 Stock Report: A Star Is Born And Other Fantasy Football Happenings - September 19, 2018
- Week 2 Stock Report: Let’s Not Over-react To Week 1 - September 14, 2018
- SCFE Staff Sleepers, Busts, Breakouts and Top Scorers: Hold Us Accountable! - September 6, 2018
Voted “Best Fantasy Draft Tool”!
“So-Called Fantasy Experts” Podcast!
Subscribe to the SCFE Newsletter for Free!
Fantasy Blog NetworkGet This
Powered By: Fantasy Knuckleheads