Tony Romo and the Week 2 Recaps
The second week of the 2015 season was highlighted by injuries and upsets that was kicked started on Thursday night in a wild finish at Kansas City.
The Broncos stole one from the Chiefs with the help of Andy Reid and Jamaal Charles.
Mariota wasn’t marvelous in the Titans first loss, while Winston stole one on the road. What will next week hold for these rookie roller coaster rides at the quarterback position?
Dez Bryant went down and out last week and now Tony Romo follows in his footsteps. Can the Cowboys compete without them?
It is that time again to hit the rewind button and review, dissect and deconstruct Sunday’s games.
Week 2 NFL Game Recaps
New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills
Tom Brady threw the rock almost sixty times for over four hundred yards and three touchdowns destroying the Bills defense.
Julian Edelman, Gronk and new comer Dion Lewis kept the passing game rolling on all cylinders.
The defending champions look extremely impressive after two weeks of the season.
- QB Tom Brady 38-59 466 YDS 3 TD 0 INT
- RB Dion Lewis 7 ATT 40 YDS 1 TD & 6 REC 98 YDS 0 TD
- TE Rob Gronkowski 7 REC 113 YDS 1 TD
- WR Julian Edelman 11 REC 97 YDS 1 TD
Tyrod Taylor put fantasy friendly numbers but that was most done in garbage time.
LeSean McCoy started despite his hamstring issues.
Sammy Watkins recorder his first reception and touchdown of the season.
- QB Tyrod Taylor 23-30 242 YDS 3 TD 3 INT & 5 ATT 43 YDS 1 TD
- RB LeSean MCoy 15 ATT 89 YDS 0 TD & 3 REC 27 YDS 0 TD
- WR Sammy Watkins 6 REC 60 YDS 1 TD
- WR Robert Woods 3 REc 60 YDS 1 TD
Houston Texans vs. Carolina Panthers
The Ryan Mallett era started on Sunday but Houston lost again.
Arian Foster can’t return quick enough for this offense. Chris Polk led the committee with 14 attempts form the running back position with disappointing results.
DeAndre Hopkins almost came down with the game tying catch in the back of the end zone but the pass was overthrown.
- QB Ryan Mallett 27-58 244 YDS 1 TD 1 INT
- RB Chris Polk 14 ATT 38 YDS 0 TD & 2 REC 9 YDS 0 TD
- WR DeAndre Hopkins 5 REC 53 YDS 0 TD
- WR Nate Washington 3 REC 63 YDS 0 TD
Cam Newton wins another game while not being surrounded with elite offensive options.
The running game was led by Jonathan Stewart once again but Cam for the second straight week totaled double digit attempts on the ground.
Greg Olsen rebounded from a poor showing in week one leading the team in receptions and yardage.
- QB Cam Newton 18-37 195 YDS 2 TD 1 INT & 10 ATT 76 YDS 1 TD
- RB Jonathan Stewart 17 ATT 62 YDS 0 TD & 1 REC -3 YDS 0 TD
- TE Greg Olsen 6 REC 70 YDS 0 TD
- WR Philly Brown 3 REC 57 YDS 1 TD
Arizona Cardinals vs. Chicago Bears
The Carson Palmer effect on the Cardinals offense can’t be understated.
Rookie David Johnson jump started things off for Arizona with 108 yard return on the the opening kick of the game.
A renaissance receiver, as Larry Fitzgerald exhibited dominance over the Bears secondary.
- QB Carson Palmer 17-24 185 YDS 4 TD 1 INT
- RB David Johnson 5 ATT 42 YDS 1 TD & 108 KO RET TD
- WR Larry Fitzgerald 8 REC 112 YDS 3 TD
- WR John Brown 5 REC 45 YDS 0 TD
Jay Cutler exited with a hamstring injury after a solid start on Sunday and was replaced by Jimmy Clausen.
Matt Forte was neutralized by Arizona’s stout run defense and the game flow which turn ugly once again in the second half for Chicago.
Alshon Jeffery was inactive as he tries to fully recover from calf and hamstring injuries.
- QB Jay Cutler 8-9 120 YDS 1 TD 1 INT & 3 ATT 24 YDS 0 TD
- QB Jimmy Cutler 14-23 121 YDS 0 TD 1 INT
- RB Matt Forte 15 ATT 61 YDS 0 TD & 4 REC 44 YDS 0 TD
- TE Martellus Bennett 4 REC 48 YDS 0 TD
San Diego Chargers vs. Cincinnati Bengals
The Super Chargers were not super on the road but competitive in a tough conference loss.
The dual threat in the backfield of Gordon and Woodhead is building chemistry.
Keenan Allen returned to earth on Sunday.
- QB Philip Rivers 21-27 241 YDS 2 TD 1 INT
- RB Melvin Gordon 16 ATT 88 YDS 0 TD & 1 REC 10 YDS 0 TD
- RB Danny Woodhead 7 ATT 36 YDS 0 TD & 6 REC 68 YDS 0 TD
- WR Keenan Allen 2 REC 16 YDS 0 TD
The Red Rifle rides the Bengals to another victory.
Gio Bernand not Jeremy Hill drove the bus in the running game with an impressive performance after Hill was benched after two fumbles.
AJ Green got the scoring started but TE Tyler Eifert led the team in receptions and yards once again.
- QB Andy Dalton 16-26 214 YDS 3 TD 0 INT & 5 ATT 10 YDs 0 TD
- RB Gio Bernard 20 ATT 123 YDS 0 TD & 3 REC 16 YDS 0 TD
- TE Tyler Eifert 4 REC 49 YDS 1 TD
- WR AJ Green 3 REC 45 YDS 1 TD
Tennessee Titans vs. Cleveland Browns
Marcus Mariota could deliver the Titans to a second straight road win to start the 2015 campaign.
Bishop Sankey returned to the player we all know and depise against the Browns.
Anthony Fasano led the Tennessee in receptions and yardage on Sunday, while raw but immensely talent rookie Dorial Green-Beckham caught his first NFL touchdown.
- QB Marcus Mariota 21-37 257 YDS 2 TD 0 INT & 3 ATT 19 YDS 0 TD
- RB Bishop Sankey 12 ATT 42 YDS 0 TD
- TE Anthony Fasano 5 REC 84 YDS 1 TD
- WR Dorial Green-Beckham 1 REC 13 YDS 1 TD
Johnny football reluctantly got the start but led the Browns to victory.
The running back committee of Crowell and and Johnson was a successful tandem on Sunday.
Travis “throw me the damn ball” Benjamin posted 115 yards receiving and hauled in 2 touchdown passes.
- QB Johnny Manziel 8-15 172 YDS 2 TD 0 INT
- RB Isaiah Crowell 15 ATT 72 YDS 1 TD
- RB Duke Johnson Jr. 12 ATT 43 YDS 0 TD
- WR Travis Benjamin 3 REC 115 YDS 2 TD
Detroit Lions vs. Minnesota Vikings
Remember the Matthew Stafford of years past? The Lions could use that quarterback in their offense.
Detroit’s running game was nonexistent with Abdullah and Bell being ineffective on Sunday.
Megatron and Golden Tate showed a pulse in the passing and Eric Ebron scored again but it was not enough.
- QB Matthew Stafford 32-53 286 YDS 2 TD 1 INT
- RB Ameer Abdullah 6 ATT 9 YDS 0 TD & 1 REC 9 YDS 0 TD
- WR Calvin Johnson 10 REC 83 YDS 1 TD
- WR Golden Tate 6 REC 80 YDS 0 TD
Teddy Bridgewater was effective and efficient versus the Lions.
Who says you can never go home? Adrian Peterson returned to Minnesota and delivered a Vikings victory.
Kyle Rudolph caught the lone Viking touchdown through the air.
- QB Teddy Bridgewater 14-18 153 YDS 1 TD 0 INT & 6 ATT 21 YDS 1 TD
- RB Adrian Peterson 29 ATT 134 YDS 0 TD & 2 REC 58 YDS 0 TD
- TE Kyle Rudolph 5 REC 30 YDS 1 YDS
- WR Mike Wallace 3 REC 38 YDS 0 TD
Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. New Orleans Saints
Famous Jameis revisited, what a difference a week makes.
Doug Martin led the ground attack for the Buccaneers upset in the Bayou.
Mike Evans suited up but was held without a catch in a limited role, while Vincent Jackson caught a touchdown pass.
- QB Jameis Winston 14-21 207 YDS 1 TD 0 INT & 6 ATT 23 YDS 1 TD
- RB Doug Martin 21 ATT 78 YDS 0 TD & 2 REC 20 YDS 0 TD
- TE Austin Seferian-Jackson 2 REC 29 YDS 0 TD
- WR Vincent Jackson 3 REC 54 YDS 1 TD
In what seemed like a sensational matchup for the Saints turned sour for fans and fantasy players alike.
Brees was beaten at home versus the Bucs in the debacle at the dome and to make matters worse, he suffered a shoulder injury
Sources: #Saints believe QB Drew Brees has a shoulder injury that will likely cause him to miss games, potentially several games.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 21, 2015
CJ Spiller’s Saints debut was hugely disappointing.
- QB Drew Brees 24-38 255 1 TD 1 INT
- RB Mark Ingram 16 ATT 53 YDS 1 TD & 3 REC 5 YDS 0 TD
- WR Marques Colston 4 REC 69 YDS 0 YDS
- WR Brandin Cooks 5 REC 62 YDS 0 TD
Atlanta Falcons vs. New York Giants
Matt Ryan led the Falcons to a comeback victory at the Meadowlands erasing a 10 point fourth quarter deficit. The Falcons rookie running back Tevin Coleman exited the game after suffering an injury to his ribs. Julio Jones was the unstoppable force for the Falcons and caught the pass that setup the game winning touchdown.
- QB Matt Ryan 30-46 363 1 TD 0 INT
- RB Tevin Coleman 9 ATT 32 YDS 1 TD
- WR Julio Jones 13 REC 135 YDS 0 TD
- WR Leonard Hankerson 6 REC 77 YDS 1 TD
Do you know what time it is? The Giants obviously do not and are becoming experts at clock mismanagement after giving away another game late on Sunday. The Giants backfield was a three headed muddling monster on Sunday with Shane Vereen thriving through the air. Odell Beckham was the Giants offense and definitely not the reason why they lost.
- QB Eli Manning 27-40 292 YDS 2 TD o INT & 2 ATT 23 YDS 0 TD
- RB Shane Vereen 6 ATT 19 YDS 0 TD & 8 REC 76 YDS 0 TD
- TE Larry Donnell 4 REC 28 YDS 1 TD
- WR Odell Beckham Jr. 7 REC 146 YDS 1 TD
San Francisco 49ers vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
Colin Kaepernick delivers for fantasy owners in blowout loss to the Steelers. Last week Carlos Hyde was all the rage on Monday night and yesterday exited with concussion concerns. Torrey Smith shined as he took a 75 yard pass to the house.
- QB Colin Kaepernick 33-46 335 YDS 2 TD 0 INT & 9 ATT 51 YDS
- RB Carlos Hyde 13 ATT 43 YDS 0 TD
- WR Torrey Smith 6 REC 120 YDS 1 TD
- WR Anquan Boldin 6 REC 60 YDS 1 TD
The Steelers offensive juggernaut was on full display Sunday in their home opener. Ben Roethlisberger registered his second consecutive game with 350 passing yards or more. DeAngelo Williams and Antonio Brown defeated the Niners on the ground and in the air.
- QB Ben Roethlisberger 21-27 369 YDS 3 TD 0 INT
- RB DeAngelo Williams 20 ATT 77 YDS 3 TD & 4 REC 15 YDS 0 TD
- WR Antonio Brown 9 REC 195 YDS 1 TD
- WR Darius Heyward-Bey 4 REC 77 YDS 1 TD
St.Louis Rams vs. Washington Redskins
Nick Foles falters on the road against the Redskins. The Rams running game tallied a total of 13 attempts on Sunday with a combined 5 attempts by Tavon Austin and Nick Foles. Fear not the Todd Gurley era is coming… Brian Quick was once again inactive and is desperately needed in the Rams passing game.
- Nick Foles 17-32 150 YDS 1 TD 0 INT
- RB Tre Mason 7 ATT 26 YDS 0 TD & 2 REC 4 YDS 0 TD
- TE Jared Cook 5 REC 47 YDS 0 TD
- WR Kenny Britt 2 REC 44 YDS 1 TD
Miami Dolphins vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
The Dolphins survived a road scare last Sunday in Washington but could not escape Jacksonville victorious. Running back Lamar Miller exited the game with an ankle injury. Jarvis Landry is the man in Miami and Rishard Matthews is cementing himself in the passing game.
- QB Ryan Tannehill 30-44 359 YDS 2 TD 0 INT & 3 ATT 17 YDS 0 TD
- RB Lamar Miller 10 ATT 14 YDS 0 TD & 5 REC 28 YDS 0 TD
- WR Jarvis Landry 8 REC 110 YDS 0 TD & 1 ATT 6 YDS 0 TD
- WR Rishard Matthews 6 REC 115 YDS 0 TD
Blake Bortles stepped up on Sunday delivered multiple touchdown strikes to his favorite target. Rookie rising, TJ Yeldon pounds the rock as proves worthy of the term “bell cow” against the Dolphins. Allen Robinson shredded the missing in action Miami secondary and showcased the breakout potential many had hoped for prior to the season.
- QB Blake Bortles 18-33 273 2 TD 0 INT & 2 ATT 27 YDS 0 TD
- RB TJ Yeldon 25 ATT 70 YDS 0 TD & 3 REC 13 YDS 0 TD
- WR Allen Robinson 6 REC 155 YDS 2 TD
- WR Allen Hurns 4 REC 68 YDS 0 TD
Baltimore Ravens vs. Oakland Raiders
Joe Flacco rebounded versus Raiders but his performance was not enough. The running game combined for over 100 yards on the ground with the Forsett and Taliaferro duo. Steve Smith Sr. put up big numbers on Sundays without catching a touchdown pass.
- QB Joe Flacco 32-45 384 YDS 2 TD 1 INT
- RB Justin Forsett 15 ATT 68 YDS 0 TD & 4 REC 12 YDS 0 TD
- TE Crockett Gillmore 5 REC 88 YDS 2 TD
- WR Steve Smith Sr. 10 REC 150 YDS 0 TD
Raiders nation rejoices as Derek Carr led them to victory in front of the frenzy of fans in the black hole. Latavius Murray continue to carry the load for the Raiders in the running game. The combination of Crabtree and Cooper went crazy with both totaling over 100 yards receiving.
- QB Derek Carr 30-46 351 YDS 3 TD 1 INT
- RB Latavius Murray 15 ATT 65 YDS 1 TD & 3 REC 22 YDS 0 TD
- WR Michael Crabtree 9 REC 111 YDS 1 TD
Dallas Cowboys vs. Philadelphia Eagles
The Cowboys won the game but did they lose the war? Where do the Cowboys go without Romo?
Tony Romo doesn’t need surgery on his broken collarbone. Oddly, that doesn’t change the timeframe. Likely 8 weeks, either way. — Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 21, 2015
Joseph Randle once again was the lead dog in the Cowboys backfield.
Terrance Williams was the benificary of the absence of Dez in the passing game.
- QB Tony Romo 18-27 195 YDS 0 TD 0 INT
- RB Joseph Randle 18 ATT 51 YDS 0 TD & 1 REC 14 YDS 0 TD
- TE Jason Witten 7 REC 56 YDS 0 TD
- WR Terrance Williams 4 REC 84 YDS 1 TD
The Philadelphia experiment went horribly wrong in their home opener.
Two of the Eagles biggest offseason acquisitions, Sam Bradford and DeMarco Murray were epic fails against Dallas.
Jordan Matthews salvaged his day with a late garbage time touchdown.
- QB Sam Bradford 23-37 224 YDS 1 TD 2 INT
- RB DeMarco Murray 13 ATT 2 YDS 0 TD & 5 REC 53 YDS 0 TD
- WR Jordan Matthews 6 REC 80 YDS 1 TD
- WR Nelson Agholor 3 REC 31 YDS 0 TD
Seattle Seahawks vs. Green Bay Packers
The Seahawks are winless after two road games to start the season.
Russell Wilson out gained Marshawn Lynch on the ground.
Doug Baldwin delivered as the pass catching target, while Jimmy Graham was nowhere to be found on Sunday night.
- QB Russell Wilson 19-30 206 YDS 2 TD 1 INT & 10 ATT 78 YDS 0 TD
- RB Marshawn Lynch 15 ATT 41 YDS 0 TD & 3 REC 21 YDS 0 TD
- TE Jimmy Graham 1 REC 11 YDS 0 TD
- WR Doug Baldwin 7 REC 92 YDS 1 TD
Aaron Rodgers greatness knows no bounds.
Eddie Lacy and Davante Adams both exited last nights game with ankle injuries.
Randall Cobb took over for the Packers as their top pass catching option.
- QB Aaron Rodgers 25-33 249 2 TD 0 INT & 6 ATT 23 YDS 0 TD
- RB James Starks 20 ATT 95 YDS 0 TD & 4 REC 11 YDS 0 TD
- WR Randall Cobb 8 REC 116 YDS 0 TD
- WR James Jones 1 REC 29 YDS 1 TD