Defenses are definitely not what you pay attention to the most when you set your lineup each week, but they shouldn’t be forgotten about either.
A defense can really make a huge difference in your point total for the week. Just look at some of the point totals we have had this year already. In Week 1 the Panthers scored and the Broncos and Seahawks scored 18. In Week 2 the Cowboys and Broncos scored 20 points.
A defense that typically went first in drafts, the Seattle Seahawks is one that a lot of people are talking about right now. The team is 0-2 and the defense has not looked like the Super Bowl defense we have come accustomed to the last couple of seasons. However they now get star safety Kam Chancellor back.
Seahawks fans and Fantasy Football owners are hoping this is the key to having them return once again to a dominant defense.
It should be a good matchup for them this week against the Bears, who will not have starting quarterback Jay Cutler. Instead they will be forced to start Jimmy Clausen. I think with the return of Kam, The Seahawks defense will be hyped and be out to prove a point.
Defense Rankings Reaction
A couple of matchups this week look good or bad on the surface, but you might be surprised below to hear they are not.
Teams I Like More
First look at this matchup and I think it is easy to run away from it, especially after the Panthers struggled against the Houston Texans this past week.
However a closer look at this matchup and it is actually a good one. The Saints offense has not been clicking this season, scoring just 19 points in each of their games so far. On top of that, now Drew Brees is dealing with a bruised shoulder that might be bad enough to hold him out.
Even if he does play, I think the fact that he will be even the slightest bit limited is just an added bonus considering the Saints offense is really struggling right now.
New York Jets
OK maybe this isn’t going to be the most surprising pick after the performance they just had on Monday night against Andrew Luck and the Colts. But I do like them more than the average rank here at SCFE and on FantasyPros.
The Jets have two things going for them this week.
- They are playing amazing defense, with 10, count ‘em, 10 turnovers so far on the season. They have also allowed a total of 17 points. Yes one game was against the Browns, but that is still pretty amazing.
- Their opponent is the Eagles who can’t seem to find their identity on offense. The Eagles looked horrible for the first half of the game against Atlanta and the entire game against the Cowboys. Their best running back, DeMarco Murray, has a total of 11 yards and might even miss the game due to a hamstring injury suffered in practice this week. Also Sam Bradford has four interceptions already. This is great news for the Jets who have four interceptions on the season.
Teams I Like Less
St. Louis Rams
The Rams are one of the elite defenses in the league, there is no denying that. However, even the best defenses will struggle against the Steelers high flying offense, who just put up 43 on the 49ers.
This week the Steelers get back one of, if not the best running back in the league, Le’Veon Bell. This is only going to help their offense perform at an even higher level, making any defense facing them a scary proposition.
Pass on the Rams if you can, although I realize that might be tough if you drafted them in your leagues and don’t want to roster two defenses.
New England Patriots
The Patriots are far from the defense they were last season after losing Darrelle Revis, Brandon Browner and Vince Wilfork.
Last week’s game against the Bills was both good and bad. They allowed 32 points, but were helped out by eight sacks and three interceptions.
This week they get the Jaguars and it should be a great matchup I just have the doubts. Perhaps it has something to do with the Jags being able to put 23 on the Dolphins in a win. I’m not picking the Jags to win here, I just think they do a little better than everyone else thinks.
Remember defenses can make a huge difference in your league. Hopefully this helps you pick the right one so you can be victorious in Week 3. Good Luck and come back next week.
- The Fantasy Six Pack Hour: Fantasy Football Heroes and Zeroes - December 7, 2017
- The Fantasy Six Pack Hour: Thanksgiving Edition - November 22, 2017
- The Fantasy Six Pack Hour: Build for the Fantasy Playoffs and Week 11 Prep - November 16, 2017