Week 4 was completely upside down in terms of what was supposed to happen. I mean, I know we all expected to see a combined 31 points in the Lions-Bears game.
The tight end position was much the same in that right too, with guys like Coby Fleener back to his disappointing ways. Delanie Walker and Dwayne Allen still not performing like we would hope still either.
Good news is we finally got to see the Jordan Reed we all expected.
A nine reception, 73 yard, two touchdown performance is a great way to make all of us forget three down weeks to start 2016.
Anyway let’s get to the Week 5 Rankings reaction of the tight end position.
Week 5 Tight End Rankings Reaction
I will be using the standard tight end position rankings to determine who I like more and who I like less.
Who I Like More
Martellus Bennett, New England Patriots
This one will make a lot more sense after you read the next player on this list.
Hey no peeking!
Since I’m assuming you already did, it is clear I don’t like Gronk much this week. More on him later.
Bennett has been pretty good even without Brady, two games over 10 standard fantasy points.
This week he faces the Browns, who just allowed a huge game against Jordan Reed. With a less than 100% Gronk, I expect to see Bennett reap the benefits.
Gary Barnidge, Cleveland Browns
I originally had Tyler Eifert as my other tight end, but another injury sustained during practice, this time to his back, has him out for Week 5.
On to Barnidge. I think the Browns will be forced to pass a lot this week to keep up with Brady and the Patriots. This is good news for Barnidge who is easily the second receiving threat on this team with Coleman out.
Look for Barnidge to continue from his good game in Week 4 and be a solid start this week.
Who I Like Less
Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
I know Brady is returning and I should just believe in Gronk like everybody else, but I can’t. There are three reasons.
- He has looked awful so far this season. OK maybe we give him a bit of a pass on this one since he was dealing with Jacoby Brissett at QB.
- He is on the field, but not running many routes at all right now.
- Reports coming out of New England that he is not 100% yet with his hamstring that sidelined him the first two weeks.
— Chris Wesseling (@ChrisWesseling) October 4, 2016
This has me more worried than anything else right now. So until he can prove he can run a few more routes and do something with it, I will be ranking him lower.
Don’t forget to check out our other position rankings reactions:
- Quarterback Rankings Reactions
- Running Back Rankings Reactions
- Wide Receiver Rankings Reactions
If you’re looking for help with your waiver wire decisions or wondering who you should start or bench, try the My Playbook app over at FantasyPros.com. It’s easily the best in-season Fantasy Football tool around..
- The Fantasy Six Pack Hour: Fantasy Football Heroes and Zeroes - December 7, 2017
- The Fantasy Six Pack Hour: Thanksgiving Edition - November 22, 2017
- The Fantasy Six Pack Hour: Build for the Fantasy Playoffs and Week 11 Prep - November 16, 2017