Welcome back to my Week 5 wide receiver rankings reaction. Week 4 was a strange week for the elite wide receivers in the NFL as Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Randall Cobb and Odell Beckham Jr. scored only 32.8 points combined, which is 2.6 points less than what Devonta Freeman scored by himself. What’s even stranger is that 43 wide receivers scored 10 fantasy points or more in leagues that award PPR. And, if you wanna talk about sleepers, 23 of those wide receivers are owned in less than 50 percent of Yahoo leagues.
Three Things to Note for Week 5:
- Guess Who’s Back: Martavis Bryant will make his season debut Week 5 after serving a four-game suspension for substance abuse.
- Owners Beware: Green Bay’s wide receivers continue to struggle with injuries as Randall Cobb, James Jones and Davante Adams are all questionable to play this week.
- Sleeper Alert: With Cecil Shorts and Nate Washington expected to be out, rookie Keith Mumphery is expected to start opposite of DeAndre Hopkins.
The staff here at SCFE put together a list of their top wide receivers for Week 5 to help guide our readers when they have to decide which wide receivers to start, and which ones to sit.
In the following sections of this article, I will share my reaction to these wide receiver rankings and analyze two wide receivers that I like more for Week 5 and two that I like less.
At the end of the article, I will share my Top 20 wide receivers for Week 5.
Week 5 Wide Receiver Rankings Reaction
Who I Like More
Travis Benjamin, Cleveland Browns
If Travis Benjamin isn’t underrated, then I don’t know what underrated is. In leagues that award PPR, Benjamin has put up 68.80 Fantasy points through the first four games of the season. On top of that, he is averaging 20.5 yards per reception this year and has seen double-digit targets in each of the past two games. The staff here at SCFE has him ranked 47th, but his stats have indicated otherwise as he is making a strong case to be a solid WR2 across all Fantasy Football formats this season.
Kamar Aiken, Baltimore Ravens
With both of their starting wide receivers injured for Week 5, the Ravens and Joe Flacco will have to rely on Kamar Aiken to make plays in the passing game. Aiken should see plenty of targets this week, especially if you take into consideration that the Ravens have trailed in each of their first four games this season and have had to pass the ball late in the second half. Aiken is a solid WR3/Flex player for Sunday’s game against the Cleveland Browns.
Who I Like Less
Amari Cooper, Oakland Raiders
Jack Del Rio’s three-year effort to strengthen the Denver Broncos defense has finally paid off … just in time to bite him in the you-know-what. The Oakland Raiders take on the Denver Broncos Sunday evening and Amari Cooper’s Fantasy value could not be any less appealing. Denver has given up the second fewest Fantasy points to wide receivers this season and veteran Aqib Talib is going to have a heyday matching up against Cooper. Even though he has put on a successful rookie campaign so far, Cooper should not be relied on as anything more than a WR3/Flex player.
Anquan Boldin, San Francisco 49ers
With Colin Kaepernick playing the way that he has been this season, I wouldn’t start Anquan Boldin in a 14-team league that allows three wide receivers and a flex player. It seems as though Boldin has become another victim of wide receivers whose talent can’t be utilized because of the quarterbacks throwing to them. Even with a consistent amount of passes coming his way, Boldin won’t be able to put up numbers until Kaepernick’s accuracy gets better.
My Top 20 Wide Receiver Rankings for Week 5
- Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons
- Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants
- A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals
- Julian Edelman, New England Patriots
- DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans
- Jeremy Maclin, Kansas City Chiefs
- Randall Cobb, Green Bay Packers
- Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Keenan Allen, San Diego Chargers
- Emmanuel Sanders, Denver Broncos
- Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos
- Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals
- Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions
- Jordan Matthews, Philadelphia Eagles
- Allen Robinson, Jacksonville Jaguars
- T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts
- Travis Benjamin,Cleveland Browns
- Donte Moncrief, Indianapolis Colts
- Kendall Wright, Tennessee Titans
- Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
[su_box title=”SCFE Fantasy Football” box_color=”#d75c37″]SCFE Fantasy Football: Rankings | Daily Fantasy Football | Waiver Wire | Start & Sit | Fantasy Points Allowed by Position | Injury Report | Rookie Report | Game Previews | Game Recaps[/su_box]
- Week 8 Wide Receiver Rankings Reaction: Seniority Doesn’t Rule - October 28, 2015
- Week 7 Wide Receiver Rankings Reaction: Edelman to Shipwreck on Revis Island - October 21, 2015
- Week 6 Wide Receiver Rankings Reaction: Cooks’ Performance Rare or Well-Done? - October 15, 2015